Thursday, February 8, 2007

Troubles in Tiny Town

I've come to the conclusion that in many cases I cannot trust myself. Way back in the days of Winter Conference I recall discussing the common fear of standing next to the edge of a tall building. This was not because I was afraid of a sudden earthquake or my friend deciding to push me off. This was because I did not trust my own sanity to a point where it would be unfathomable for me to let myself fall. I guess the legitimate fear of my choices has more to do with what I allow myself to be influenced by at the point that I make critical decisions. Too often do I rely on my emotions and how I feel. I believe this all began with the animated film "Thumbelina" which featured a song entitled "When you follow your heart." This society constantly stresses this idea of following our hearts. This statement is really just a nice way of telling us to go after our desires. I think a more appropriate directional statement for life would be to follow Christ. Perhaps I will make an animated film of my own called "The Truth about Thumbelina" featuring the hit song "Your heart is a liar." This subject lightly touched on the hybernating dragon. Do not worry, I will get there eventually.

5 comments:

Narisilme said...

Hmm...it's seems that I struggle with this a lot...thus, the reason for never being fully satisfied with where I'm at or who I am. I've heard that statement my whole life and it resounds in me daily. "Follow your heart." It whispers at me. It screams at me. There are times when I want to stab it with a sword.

Thanks for this enouragement to take a break from my overwhelming desires and to follow Christ alone.

with love. El

Amy Grace said...

Most of the time, the stuff you write in your blog I am already aware of, but this time I am rather confused! I didn't know you felt this way?
Merrilee, I trust your heart, but if you need to stab it, there are some knives in the kitchen.
I really like your Thumbelina analogy. We should watch that movie.

Ryan Maguire said...

This is my favorite post of yours. I know that you love to have random stuff in your blog and don't take it too seriously but I really enjoyed reading what you really think.

AJ Harbison said...

I agree with Ryan--great post. I'm amazed at how often our culture tells us to follow our hearts; the more I see of myself and of the rest of the world the more I'm convinced that Jeremiah (and God) knew what he was talking about when he said (17:9) "The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately sick; who can understand it?"

I actually relate to the whole falling thing too--when I used to walk or bike to school I would have to cross the 57 overpass on Yorba Linda, and more than once I was intrigued by the thought of falling. Our deceitful and desperately sick hearts like to invent ways to be self-destructive, which is why things like addiction are so powerful. Praise God for being the Healer of such incredibly messed-up people.

AJ
<><

Idhrendur said...

Heh. I always used to be facinated with the idea of falling off the overpass too. Wierdness.